1. Class Sort on the Chinese Reformers
2. Unit Two test will be on Tuesday, October 29, 2013. It will address the following three questions. You may bring in a ONE-SIDED 3×5 card with you in to the exam.
a. In chronological order trace the major social, scientific, and economic events of 5 Chinese dynasties, (excluding the Qing.) Discuss how their rise and falls were similar or different.
b. Discuss in detail 3 significant turning points that ultimately lead to the decline of the Qing dynasty. You must include and underline TWO quotes from readings done in class.
c. Discuss 3 reformers’ perspectives on what path China should take at the end of the 19th century and early 20th century. You must include and underline TWO quotes from readings done in class.
1. Group research on assigned reformer:
- Feng Guifen “On the Adoption of Western Learning”
- Yan Fu “Learning from the West“
- Liang Qichao/Kang Youwei “Observations on a trip to America” and “Comprehensive Considerations of the Whole Situation“
- Empress Dowager Cixi “Reform Edict of the Qing Imperial Empire“
- Sun Yat-sen (1893 and 1906)
1. Small group discussions on reformers
2. “Reverse Sort”
3. Current Events: 3-Eleanor, Vinoth, Anahi & Kelsey; 4-Jesse, Chris G.
Study for test on Tuesday 10/29