1. How China sees the World article discussion. For students who are absent, you’ll need to complete a 1 1/2 page discussion paper on the discussion questions from the reading. See IC for details.
2. Introduce excerpt from Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond: “How China Became Chinese.”
HOMEWORK: Read/text-mark-up for Diamond reading. Due Friday, 9/13.
1. Introduce map assignment.
2. Geographical changes in China over time. (lecture notes/maps) China’s changing borders: How have China’s boundaries changed over time? AND China’s borders during 4 periods
3. Boundary disputes with Japan. Read article in class.
- Reactions to Border dispute with Japan (CCTV)
- Anti-Japanese protests (CNN)
- Japan Protests Over Ships from China in Island Dispute
HOMEWORK: Diamond reading. Due 9/13. Map assignment, due Monday, 9/16.
1. Demography lecture (population pyramids)
2. Dynastic maps. How has China changed over time?
HOMEWORK: Work on Infographics (due Monday 9/16)
Data collection for Infographics in LMC. Meet in LMC. Sources to use:
- Nation Master
- World Bank Data by region
- National Bureau of Statistics of China
- International Programs, US Census
- Population Pyramids
- The World Factbook by the CIA
- International Statistical Agencies
- World Mapper
HOMEWORK: Complete Infographics for Monday! We’ll talk more about them in class tomorrow.
1. Current Events (Petra, Jake R., Steven-3/Sean, Izzie, Kala-4)
2. Discuss “How China became Chinese” by Jared Diamond.
3. Play a couple rounds of Chinese jump rope.