1. Tuesday Tunes. MC Jin is a Chinese-American rapper born in Miami in 1982 in a household where the primary language was the Chinese dialect, Cantonese. He started out rapping primarily in English and the first Asian-American rapper to release an album on a major US record label. When his career stalled, he released an album in Cantonese, “ABC”, which means “American-born Chinese”. This album led to him becoming a household name in Hong Kong.
The Kowtow Question discussion.
Beyond the First Opium War…the decline of the Qing.
- Taiping Rebellion (1850-1864) & Nien Rebellion (1851-1868)
- Second Opium War (1856-1860)
- Treaties of Tientsin/Tianjin (1858)
- Frederick Bruce
- Dagu Forts
- Relations with Russia (1860)
- Lin Zexu and Wei Yuan “barbarians fight barbarians”
- Treaty of Aigun
- First Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895) and here is another from Princeton U.
- Russo-Japanese war (1904-1905)
- Self-strengthening movement (1861-1895) & the Boxer Rebellion (1899-1901)
Other terms to search: century of humiliation, decline of the Qing dynasty
Timeline of Modern China (for reference)
1. Current Events.
2. Finish processing From Preeminence to Decline
- First Opium War/Treaty of Nanjing
- Protestants in China
- Taiping Rebellion
- Sino-Japanese War
- Boxer Rebellion
- Russo-Japanese War
Is China Ripe for a Revolution? (nytimes.com remembering the Taiping Rebellion)